Pages

Friday, March 21, 2014

The Burden of Vision



Over the years I have read books on the Power of Vision, The Visionary Leader, Visioneering, Vision Burst, etc… but never have I read a book about the burden of vision. 
I recently moved into my first Senior Pastor role in Green Bay Wisconsin (yes, the land of cheese, Brats and the Packers).  I have been in lead roles in ministry, sports, and community events before but never have I felt the burden of vision and leadership like this.  There are a lot of fun aspects of vision (planning, seeing things happen, blazing the trail, etc…).  There is also the harsh reality that God’s vision is not for our gratification but for the good, well being, and in some cases, the survival of others. 
I honestly believe God wants His church to positively impact the community around it in both practical and spiritual ways, and I believe we will see this happen.  But I drive through Green Bay and my heart breaks for the emptiness I see in so many people.  There is the obvious practical need of those walking, and sometimes living on the streets in freezing weather.  
I hear the news of a teenage death and I quickly think, “What can we do about this?  How can we help the family and be there for the friends of this student?  What can we do to see that this doesn’t happen again?  
I listen to stories of those looking for spiritual TRUTH and think “How do we get the message of Christ’s love to all of them?”  How can we reach out to those going through loss, pain, divorce, and in financial need?
I look at the incredible group of people in Spring Lake Church and want nothing but the best for them.  I want this church to have the best children’s ministries, the best adult ministries the best worship, and sermons that challenge and feed them.    
I know that the results of all of this do not rest on me but do require me to be faithful to the vision God has placed in my heart and the heart of the church.  I also do believe that God has prepared me for what he has in store for me in this season of life and responsibility.  I find my strength and source in Christ and lean on the fact that He will order my steps.  He is the one who changes lives and will bring about the change Green Bay needs.  I am just humbled and honored to be a vessel he chooses to use in this awesome city.  Spring Lake loves Green Bay!  

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I know God will continue to give you what you need to lead and build his Kingdom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Theo. Your friendship and brotherhood is appreciated more than you know!

      Delete
  2. It has been such a blessing watching you and your family grow over the years!! I am so blessed to call you friends! Your faithfulness is so encouraging to me especially now with Neil being called to ministry (as scary as that is for me)! Even with you being so far away You guys are awesome examples!! May God's blessings be continually poured out over you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diane, I am so excited for Neil's future ( and all of the Goetzes for that matter). You and Dennis have been great examples and true friends! We love you all.

    ReplyDelete