Pages

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Delay of Game… When the offense, business, and life, feel like its taking to long!




Delay of game.  This is probably one of the most frustrating penalties in football.  There HAD to have been a plan and a play called.  What happened?  Did the defense show you something you weren’t expecting?  Was someone on the offense out of position or not in sync?  SNAP THE BALL ALREADY!!!

If you haven’t figured it out already, I’m not always the most patient person. I came home from work one day and was frustrated at the speed at which change was happening.  My daughter said to me “dad you’ve only been there for two days, give it a chance.”  I’ve started in a new role recently and, one month in, I’m ready for things to happen…now!
Running with the football analogy (it’s spring practice time!!) here are some things I’m realizing.

* The larger the project, the more likely that you will have to be patient for something to execute.  Everyone must be headed in the same direction.  It often feels like you’re always waiting on someone!  Making sure everyone knows the play is critical for execution.

* If you are new, give it a little time.  Sometimes the team is still figuring out your speed and cadence.  It seems like there is a group who will pick up the playbook pretty quick.  Others take time; others shouldn’t be in the huddle.

*  Sometimes you may be the only one seeing the play clock.  The execution of what needs to happen is eminent.  Get the teams attention and SNAP THE BALL!  If the environment is always this frantic, then something is majorly wrong with communication.  Give time to communicate and be ready to go at the line.  If you continually have to audible or can’t read the defense, something is wrong with your preparation.

Ok, I’ve run with the analogy, can you think of any to add?  

8 comments:

  1. How about it's all for your own good?

    ReplyDelete
  2. not really, it's a team game. Business/ interpersonal interactions aren't only about one person. Football takes a team as well. If your saying for the good of the team, I can see that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I'm saying the interactions that polish us work out for our own good, and yes also for the good of others and God's kingdom. And teams are made up of individual personalities and life experiences. Contrary to the old adage, their are as many I's in team as there are team members and their life priorities are a stewardship they alone must fulfill.

    I get your analogy though and its very fitting. Btw congratulations on your new position. May The Lord strengthen you in every way as you see all the words spoken over you come to pass, for the good of the team.

    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. good point! Thanks. This first week has been pretty awesome. God placed me in a spot that has been a great fit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a great analogy, Pastor Jack. I think of my beloved Seahawks and I remember that only 2 years ago, they were a brand new team. They had new leadership, a new quarterback, new players ... but their game plan remained the same: to win games. With determination, a clear focus, dedicated members, hard work, and of course, the "12th Man," the Seahawks' dream came to fruition. I watched them steamroll over the #1 rated offense in the NFL and earn that coveted Super Bowl trophy.

    You're in my prayers. I know that because you allow yourself to be guided by God's loving hands, that your church is also in good hands. Stay determined, focused, keep lines of communications open, and remember the importance of the 12th Man. The 12th Man can be a bit rowdy at times, but they know a good thing when they see it. They can cheer for you so loudly that God Himself would have to take a time-out just to sit back and smile for a bit. I know in my heart you will take as many hearts as humanly possible to the Big Dance. Keep going forward -- NEVER be afraid to snap that ball!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!! The 12th man! I didn't even think about that one! Very cool! Thank you for your encouragement! It's people like you who made VVCC hard to leave! Blessings to you and your hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Works for new smaller ministries within the church as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Peter- thanks for responding. Yep. I think the principles are true with any environment of dealing with people. I've been in all sorts of environments (size wise and culturally) and the same traits made recruiting and executing the "game plan" a success or failure.

    ReplyDelete