Pages

Monday, February 4, 2013

How To Make Better Decisions


How to make better decisions
I have made my very fair share of poor decisions so this is something that has come out of a lifetime of trial and error.  I have made some decisions in life where I made moves that affected my whole family.  How do I know what I’m supposed to do?  How do I know if it’s me, God, or the devil that’s giving me an idea or an urging.  I know I’m not alone in this.  Praying over a decision is probably the greatest prayer request I receive. 

Who should I date/ marry
Should I take this new job over the one I currently have?
Should I buy this house?
Should I go back to school?
Should I _____________________  (place your request here).

Over the last two decades I have whittled down a checklist that has proven pretty effective at clarifying my decision making. 

1-    Who are “people of wisdom” in my life and what do they have to say about it?  People of wisdom are people who have been where I want to go and can help me get there.  They are people who are not afraid to shoot straight with me and tell me the truth.  They are people who pray and I know they pray for me.   

2-    Is it something I am having to force to happen?  Am I having to kick doors open or is God opening the doors for me?

3- Is it moral, legal, and ethical?  For me, the Bible sets the standard on this the way a ruler sets the standard in math.  It is the bottom line (but that’s for another discussion)

4-    Do I have any kind of “gut check”.  When something in my gut says something isn’t right, I have learned not to ignore that.  Each time I do, I end up regretting it. 

Do you have any safe guards in your decision-making?  

No comments:

Post a Comment