Pages

Monday, January 28, 2013

What do I want to be remembered for?


I perform about 20 funerals every year.  Each has a unique flavor to it.  Some are very heavy and heartbreaking, such as a funeral I did for a 24 year old who was killed in a car accident.  For others, like a feisty 80-year-old Italian grandma, there are lots of laughs, hilarious stories and family hugs.  The mood of the funeral largely depends on the family, the personality of the deceased, and the circumstances behind the death.  There is also far more peace for those who know that their loved one is in Heaven. 

What stands out the most to me is that no matter what age or socio- economic status, people will remember you for three or four things. 

This got me thinking, what will I be remembered for?  My guess is:

1-    My love for my family.  (having some nerdy fun in the picture below)
2-    My service to God and ministry. 
3-    Being a die hard Hokie fan.  Wow.  Really?  Yep.  I would guess that’s what people will remember me for. 

The cool thing is that I can change it if I really want to.  There is still game time left on life’s clock. 

What about you?  What three or four things do you think you will be remembered for?  If you could change it, what would you want your life to have stood for?


No comments:

Post a Comment